You have 2 options:
the simplest, if you have any Mac, is to use the standard option which installs Datashare without Docker. Make sure you install Homebrew before by following these steps.
if you have OS X El Capitan 10.11 or a more recent version: you can use the version which installs Datashare with Docker; it is a more powerful version.
1. Let's first install Homebrew, which is needed for installing Tesseract OCR. Open your Finder:
2. Search for 'Terminal' in your applications and double click on 'Terminal.app' to open it:
3. A Terminal window opens:
Copy and paste this and press Enter:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
4. Press 'Enter' when it displays this message:
5. Close the windows when it displays this:
6. Go to this page: datashare.icij.org, scroll down and click 'Download for free'.
7. Go to your 'Downloads' and double-click 'DatashareStandalone.pkg':
8. You might see this window which says '"DatashareStandalone.pkg” can’t be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store.' Click 'OK'.
9. Go to your Mac's System Preferences:
10. Open 'Security & Privacy':
11. Click 'Open Anyway':
12. Click 'Open':
13. Click 'Continue', 'Install', enter your password and 'Close':
The installation begins. You see a progress bar. It stays a long time on "Running package scripts" because it is installing Tesseract OCR, Java Runtime Environment, Datashare backend and Datashare frontend.
You can see what it actually does by typing command+L, it will open a window which logs every action made.
In the end, you should see this screen:
You can now open Datashare.
You need OS X El Capitan 10.11 or a more recent version. 1. Go to Datashare's website: https://datashare.icij.org/
2. Click 'Other platforms and versions':
3. Turn on the toggle button 'Use Docker installer':
4. Click on the latest version on top:
5. Follow the steps starting at point 7 here.