You have 2 options:
the simplest, if you have any Mac, you can use the standard option which installs Datashare without Docker.
if you have OS X El Capitan 10.11 or a more recent version: you can use the version which installs Datashare with Docker; it is a more powerful version.
0. Before we start, please uninstall any prior standard version of Datashare if you had already installed it. Go to Applications and put 'Datashare' in the trash.
1. Let's first install Homebrew, which is needed for installing Tesseract OCR. Open your Finder:
2. Search for 'Terminal' in your applications and double click on 'Terminal.app' to open it:
3. A Terminal window opens:
Copy and paste this and press Enter:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
4. Press 'Enter' when it displays this message:
5. Close the windows when it displays this:
6. Go to this page: https://github.com/ICIJ/datashare-installer/releases/
7. In 'Latest release', click 'DatashareStandalone.pkg':
8. Go to your 'Downloads' and double-click 'DatashareStandalone.pkg':
9. You might see this window which says '"Datashare.pkg” can’t be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store.'. Click 'Ok'.
10. To open 'Dartashare.pkg' despite this, go to your Mac's System Preferences:
11. Open 'Security & Privacy':
12. Click 'Open Anyway':
13. Click 'Open':
14. Click 'Continue', 'Install', enter your password and 'Close':
The installation begins. You see a progress bar. It stays a long time on "Running package scripts" because it is installing Tesseract OCR, Java Runtime Environment, Datashare backend and Datashare frontend.
You can see what it actually does by typing command+L, it will open a window which logs every action made.
In the end, you should see this screen:
15. Then, go in your Applications, and double-click on 'Datashare.app':
16. A Terminal windows opens. Wait for it to display 'INFO Fluent - Server started on port 8080' like this:
17. Now, open your browser, and go to the URL: http://localhost:8080/.
You need OS X El Capitan 10.11 or a more recent version. 1. Go to Datashare's website: https://datashare.icij.org/.
2. Click the blue button 'DOWNLOAD FOR FREE.'
3. On your desktop:
Open 'Finder' by clicking on the blue smiling icon of your Mac's 'Dock.'
Double-click on 'Datashare.pkg.'
4. You might see this window which says '"Datashare.pkg” can’t be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store.'. Click 'Ok'.
5. To open 'Dartashare.pkg' despite this, go to your Mac's System Preferences:
6. Open 'Security & Privacy':
7. Click 'Open Anyway':
8. Click 'Open':
9. A window entitled 'Install Datashare' will open. Click twice on 'Continue' and then 'Install.'
10. A window saying 'Installer is trying to install new software' will require your Mac username and password. Enter both and click 'Install Software.'
11. Once the windows says 'The installation was successful. The software was installed,' click on 'Close.'
12. A new windows will ask 'Do you want to move the "Datashare" Installer to the Trash?'. You can safely click 'Move to Trash':
13. You see a small window of 'Terminal' automatically opened. It describes ongoing technical operations and will close automatically. If it does not close automatically, please wait for process to be completed before manually closing it.
14. Datashare is now installed as well as another tool that makes it work, called Docker Desktop. You can find Docker Desktop on your Mac menu bar, on the top right of your computer's screen. Its icon is a little whale! It contains components necessary for Datashare to work. Docker Desktop will run automatically when you use Datashare.
If you don't see the docker whale, please continue to open with Datashare.
If Docker Desktop offers to log in with Docker ID, do NOT log in and close this window:
You're now ready to take the next step: let's open Datashare.